I present to you a healthy kidney beans salad with an Indian touch! The sweetness of the apricots works perfectly with the spicy tanginess of the vinaigrette and compliments the taste and texture of the beans,vegetables and walnuts in this salad.
I’m always looking for easy to make delicious recipes that are delicious and plant based. This is something that I came up with using random things already in my house and it turned out to be totally delightful.
In this salad I used Kashmiri Kidney Beans also called Pahari Rajma. They contain more proteins and fiber than regular kidney beans and are found in the northern states of India. If you can’t find these, use the simple ones.
This is a very simple salad and can be made in 10 minutes if you’re using pre-cooked kidney beans. But it’s more flavorful when you use the herbs in the cooking water.
And, when you get your protein from kidney beans, you also get the blood sugar stabilizing and heart health benefits of the soluble fiber provided by these versatile legumes. A cup of kidney beans provides over 43 grams of protein and 46 grams dietary fiber, pretty impressive right? They also contain amazing nutrients like iron, copper, manganese and potassium!
Make this sweet and sour salad any time of the day or night. It can also be eaten with some brown rice or as a sandwich center. It is very filling, nutritious and full of plant based proteins.
Kashmiri Kidney Beans and Apricot Salad with Coriander Vinaigrette
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|10 mins||15 mins||25 mins|
Kashmiri Kidney Beans and Apricot Salad with Coriander Vinaigrette. A versatile, simple, sweet and tangy salad full of plant based protein.
- 1 cup Uncooked Kashmiri Kidney Beans/1 can Kidney Beans
- 12-15 Dried Apricots, Pitted
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 2 Cucumbers
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- Bunch Coriander/Parsley
- 1 Chili
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Soak the kidney beans overnight (or in hot water for an hour). Cook them in a cooker with five cups water, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 2 cardamom pods and some salt for 20 minutes. (Skip this step if you’re using canned beans)
- Soak the apricots in hot water for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the ingredients for the dressing in a blender and blend.
- Cut the veggies and apricots finely.
- Drain the kidney beans and let them cool.
- Put everything together and garnish with walnuts and coriander flowers.