This is a perfect winter cake and it’s deliciously moist and fluffy. Completed with a luscious brandy and almond sauce to give you that trip to heaven!
This recipe was inspired by the fresh figs that my dad brought from Mumbai which are not available here locally! So it’s a treat every time he gets them and I experiment and create dishes with this versatile fruit.
This is what I always do, I check out Pinterest for good recipes, mix 3-4 of them and create a new one. You should do that too because it gives you a sense of freedom and I’m sure you’ll love to play.
This cake is to show, like many other of its fellow cakes, that beautiful, delicious, moist and fluffy cakes can be made without any animal products! For the egg substitute I used flax egg, soy milk and vinegar. It works perfectly and gives the cake an Omega-3 and protein boost. Awesome right?
I think fruit cakes are absolutely the best cakes in the world because they are inspired from the beautiful desserts that nature has provided us with. This cake was inspired from figs and the addition of the orange juice and zest was totally an experiment which was successful, thank God
The almond butter in the sauce gives it a creamy texture without adding empty cream calories to it and compliments the tastes of the brandy and dried figs.
This is an absolute celebratory cake with fun and awesome toppings and garnishes and will be awesome for winter birthdays or just because you want to eat a brandy cake!
Fig Orange Cake with a Brandy Almond Sauce
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|20 mins||60 mins||80 mins|
This is a perfect winter cake and it’s deliciously moist and fluffy. Completed with a luscious brandy sauce to give you that beautiful winter-y taste!
- 3 Figs
- 2 and 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Almond Meal
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Sugar/Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Flax Eggs, 2 tbsp Ground Flax seeds mixed with 6 tbsp water
- 1 Cup Soy/Almond Milk
- 4 tbsp Vinegar
- Juice of One Orange
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 10-12 Dried Figs
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Brandy of your choice
- 2 tbsp Coconut Sugar/Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Almond Butter
- 3 tbsp Slivered Almonds
- 1/2 Orange Zest
- For Cake
- For Sauce
- Mix together the dry ingredients for the cake.
- Add in the wet ingredients.
- Mix well and form a thick batter.
- Bake it in a cake dish lined with oil and flour in a preheated 180 degree Celsius oven for 55-60 mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
- For the sauce add the water, brandy, figs and sugar to a pan and heat it up.
- Boil it while stirring continuously until the figs become soft and break easily, about 10-15 mins.
- Now add the almond butter and mix until fully combined.
- Let it thicken up a bit for 3-4 mins. It will become thicker as it cools down.
- Garnish the cake with this delicious sauce, figs and slivered almonds and enjoy the winters in a healthy yet delicious way!