The sweetness of the coconut amalgamated with the spices is so on point you’ll want to make this over and over again! Also it’s super easy to make and is very healthy for you.
If you read my posts you know how much I love chickpeas and how good they are for you. I don’t buy the canned stuff because of all the preservatives, sodium and what not. Boiling them at home is so much healthier and cheaper than getting cans.
The combination of curry leaves with mustard seeds and cumin is the ultimate South-Indian taste combination. Put them as the base of any dish and give your taste buds a trip to Kerala!
This base is simple with onion, garlic and tomatoes but you can add any veggies or beans of your choice in this dish, just take care of the quantities. Bell peppers would taste divine with this!
Have this delicious awesomeness with red rice or any rice for that matter. You could even have it on some toast, or have the curry by itself, there are no rules!
Chickpea Coconut Curry with Red Rice
A south Indian Chickpea curry. The sweetness of the coconut amalgamated with the spices is so on point you'll want to make this over and over again!
- 1 Cups Cooked Chickpeas
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
- 5 Small Garlic Cloves
- 1 inch Ginger
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Chili
- 1 Small Lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cooked Red/Brown/White Rice
- Cut the ginger, garlic, onion, tomatoes and chili finely.
- Heat the oil on medium and turn down to low.
- Add the mustard seeds and cumin and let them crackle, after that add the curry leaves.
- Add the garlic, ginger and onion and cook, stirring continuously till they turn golden.
- Add the tomatoes and chili and let them cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, all the spices except salt. Mix well together and let it all cook for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk and let it cook and reduce for 5-6 minutes. Season with salt according to your taste.
- Have with any kind of rice or on toast!