Savory and spicy muffins, do I need to say more?
As simple as putting the ingredients together and baking them, the batter can be prepared and frozen in advance to make the muffins in the future!
I have savory cravings more than I have sweet cravings, and I’m pretty sure you’ll love these if you do too, these are fluffy and moist, have a texture like traditional muffins. But taste like pakoras, if you’ve tasted the traditional Indian fried snack. So these are a healthier, baked version of that.
Chickpeas have been my staple since I turned vegan, simple because they are absolutely delicious, and also contain 19gm protein and 17gm fiber for every 100 gram! They are pretty unique tasting and can me made in millions of different ways. The high fiber, potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B-6 content, coupled with the lack of cholesterol found in chickpeas, also support heart health.
So go on and try these gorgeous muffins ad I’m sure you’ll love them and enjoy them as much as I did!
Savory Chickpea Muffins with a Spicy Salsa
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|10 mins||40 mins||50 mins|
Oven baked chickpea muffins that are fluffy, delicious and healthy!
For the Muffins
- 2 Cups Chickpea Flour (Besan)
- 1 and 3/4 Cups Water
- 3 tbsp Soy Yogurt
- 1/2 Zucchini
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Inch Ginger
- 1 Chili
- Himalayan Pink Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
For the Salsa
- 200gm Tomato Puree
- 2 Tomatoes
- Bunch Coriander
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 Chili
- 1 Lemon
- Cut up the onion, garlic, ginger, zucchini and tomatoes.
- Put a pan on medium heat with 1 tbsp olive oil and cook the ginger, garlic and onion till golden.
- Add the zucchini and tomatoes and sauté for 2-3 minutes until bright colored.
- Put all the ingredients for the muffins and form a batter, add to lined muffin trays (I use silicone trays).
- Preheat the oven at 230 degree C for 15 minutes and bake for 35-40 mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
- For the salsa cut up the tomatoes, coriander and chili and put everything together in a bowl.
- Serve the hot muffins with the salsa, enjoy!